Our last body shape for our Winter Style series is the Cone. We didn’t forget about you! Sometimes referred to as the Inverted Triangle or ‘V’ your shape is strong and athletic. Some famous cones you may know are Michelle Bridges from the Biggest Loser, Demi Moore and Angelina Jolie so you are in good company.
Is this you:
- Shoulders are noticeably wider than your hipline?
- Strong, well defined shoulders?
- A sporty athletic physique?
- Great legs?
- Little or no waist definition?
You need to minimise your shoulder line and then create a balanced silhouette by adding volume to your hipline. I know this sounds a bit scary because not many of us actually want to add volume, but in order to give the illusion of an evenly proportioned body you need to do just that.
Minimising your shoulders is easy to achieve by using darker colors, V-necks, softer lines (no shoulder pads required) patterns and accessories.
Maximising your hips can be achieved by fuller skirts, ruching, prints, patterns, peplum details.
At this point I need to mention that your shoulders can also be your feature and if you love them show them off.
My top five picks for A/W15 are:
- Jackets & Coats – stick with a drapey lapel and a soft shoulder line. Waterfall jackets and cardigans are perfect for you.
- Pants – boyfriend jeans with a looser leg works well. Use prints to draw the eye downwards. Cargo pants are another really good option as they add more shape to your slim legs.
- Skirts – you can wear A-line, tulip and pencil skirts as long as they have detail around the waist and/or hips. Don’t forget to use a print or pattern to visually add volume and be sure to highlight your assets! There are a lot of skirts with side splits just waiting for you to take advantage.
- Dresses – v-necklines are flattering for you and remember the soft shoulder line. Peplums are great to create a waist and curvier hip. Ruching is also a wonderful cheat to give the illusion of curves in all the right places.
- Accessories – scarves and necklaces really work for you to draw the eye vertically rather than horizontally.
There are heaps of sales on right now so it’s a perfect time to pick up some great bargains that will become your stylish “go to” pieces for cool winter months to come.