As the highly successful Tony Robbins once said “Initially, style is more important than substance. If you don’t have the right style, you won’t get to share any of your substance”.
It is a touchy subject as many people would like to believe that what you wear shouldn’t matter but the truth is we live in a highly visual world where first impressions can make or break your success. We all subconsciously judge someone the minute we look at them so there is no getting around it.
Whilst your image is not the only factor that helps build your personal brand it is a major element that cannot be overlooked. If you think of yourself as a product then your image is like your logo and your packaging is your greatest marketing tool! You need to ensure you are visible and memorable for all the right reasons.
They say your personal brand is what people say about you when you leave the room. I’m sure you don’t want them saying “she always looks like she got dressed in a hurry”, “did she look in the mirror before she left home?” or “why does he always wear that shirt?”
When you think about it, communication is 55% visual so your outfit and the impression you are creating is speaking volumes for you, before you even open your mouth. You have to be clear with what it is you actually want to say. The power of your personal brand lies in its ability to speak for you.
Your personal brand and your personal style all starts with understanding who you are, what you value, what you have to offer and what differentiates you. This takes some serious soul searching and doesn’t happen overnight. It is a project you need to commit to and keep working on.
Remember, your wardrobe is not just a place to hang clothes anymore, it is a place to create yourself. You need to ensure it is supporting you and your brand. Studies have shown that when you dress the part it changes your mindset. This positive change in attitude is reflected in body language and behavior. Your self-esteem increases and you can achieve so much more.
Here are some tips to help you create a successful and supportive wardrobe:
- Understand what suits you and your body shape.
- Wear clothes made of good quality fabric. Inexpensive clothes lose shape quickly. It is better to invest in just a few good pieces and then add pieces as your budget permits.
- Don’t think that people won’t notice – someone always does! Clear your wardrobe of outfits that are showing signs of wear & tear, and make sure your clothes aren’t stained. Stains on ties are one of my pet hates!
- Make sure your clothes fit properly. If your cuffs are too long or your jacket too big or too tight it will ruin the outfit. It is worth the investment to have your clothes altered for the perfect fit.
- It’s all about attention to detail. Accessories, hair, nails, shoes, ties – all show a little of your personality and how you feel about yourself.
- If you are unsure what suits you enlist the help of a stylist. You will not regret it and it will save you money in the long run. It also boosts your confidence.
Last but not least, consistency is everything. You need your personal style to be authentic. You cannot pretend to be something you are not as people see through you very quickly and you lose credibility and their trust. If your style is authentically you, it is a lot easier to consistently maintain.
If you need help discovering what your personal brand and your personal style look like, call the Fashionista Sistas. We do what we do because we are passionate about helping people feel great about themselves and achieving their goals.